The Storm King School considers computers to be a valuable tool for education and encourages the use of computer related technology in school classrooms to further the educational goals of the School. As part of Storm King’s commitment to academic excellence and technology, students and faculty are provided with access to the Internet to support instruction, conduct research, enhance curriculum, and communicate with scholars throughout the world.
Storm King’s Internet services are designed to guide users in navigating through vast resources while minimizing the possibility of accessing information that is inappropriate in the context of a school setting. No matter how vigilant, the blocking technology can never keep up with new sites or make all the correct judgments about taste. The Storm King School cannot guarantee that such material will not be accessed.
When a student in The Storm King School accesses computers, computer networks, and educational technology owned or operated by the School, he or she assumes certain responsibilities and obligations. All access of this type is subject to school policies and to local, state, and federal laws. The Storm King School expects that student use of computers provided by this school will be ethical, for educational pursuits, and will reflect academic honesty. Students must demonstrate respect for intellectual property, system security, and privacy. In an effort to adhere to these General Principals the following rules will be applied:
- All Internet traffic will be routed to the web filter. This device is designed to filter out known inappropriate web sites; sites that contain offensive, illegal and or dangerous content. There can be no exceptions. Any traffic that does not pass inspection by “web filter” cannot be allowed on The Storm King School computer systems. If you find a site you need for academic work blocked, please see your teacher. Access can be provided for genuine academic activity.
- We reserve the right to inspect any computer and mobile devices that access The Storm King School network, and, or access the Internet via this system, for compliance with the computer policy as well as inspection for illegal and dangerous software. We reserve the right to remove any such software without the owner/user’s consent.
- The School is not responsible for loss or damage to a file due to unauthorized access or usage.
- Students are strongly encouraged to use appropriate security and backup procedures to insure the authenticity of their files. Students are required to have a current anti-virus program and anti-spyware.
- Students may not use devices such as Hotspots, Wireless repeaters, Network extenders, etc. which interfere with SKS WiFi signals. The use of these devices is prohibited; they are subject to confiscation.
Students must obtain the approval of their parent(s) or guardian(s) before access to the School’s Network / Internet resources can be granted. Both students and parents must also read and sign the Acceptable Use Policy to indicate an understanding and acceptance of its contents. Internet use is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked if abused. Vandalism of equipment, network access or programs will result in discipline as defined in the School conduct policy.
Users must adhere to the same code of ethics that govern all other aspects of the School. The following Internet Acceptable Use Policy is not an inclusive listing, but general guidelines dictated by decorum, privacy, respect and the law.
- Accounts may be used only by the authorized owners of the accounts. Access of other accounts is prohibited.
- Users are responsible for the file content, downloading file (video, music, etc.) data, programs and email communications of the accounts.
- Users shall not use their accounts or the network to create, view or distribute images, sounds, messages or materials which are obscene, pornographic, harassing, racist, inflammatory, malicious, fraudulent or slanderous. Users shall not engage in cyber bullying.
- Users shall respect the privacy of others, and shall not access, modify, or copy passwords or data belonging to other users. Users will not publish private information on students, faculty or staff without permission.
- Users shall not use computer programs to decode passwords or to access information.
- Users shall not use computers to access personal entertainment, social networks, and game playing during academic times.
- Users shall not attempt to circumvent or subvert system security measures.
- Users shall not copy files, data or programs without permission.
- Users shall not install software or download unauthorized files, games, programs or other electronic media.
- Users shall not engage in any activities that might be harmful to systems or to any information stored thereon, such as creating viruses, damaging files or disrupting service.
- Users shall respect copyright laws and licensing agreements pertaining to material entered into and obtained via the system. Software piracy and plagiarism are illegal.
- The use of the network for personal profit, commercial purposes or illegal activities is prohibited.
- Users shall respect the integrity of Storm King Telecommunication’s infrastructure. Unauthorized access to The Storm King School information systems, Internet or other networked computers is not permitted. Attempts to hack into the Storm King network, damage the functionality of the network or to bypass its restrictions are illegal. And violation of these restrictions may be prosecuted as a
The Storm King School monitors online access and retains the right to review and edit any materials that are stored, posted or emailed through its network infrastructure. Any user who does not comply with the Internet Acceptable Use Policy will be subject to one or more of the following consequences. The disciplinary action depends upon the infraction and is not limited to this list.
- Conference with parent(s) or guardian(s)
- Compensation equivalent to the cost of repair or replacement as
determined by the School. This includes labor time needed for the repair
- Loss of network privileges for a determined period of time
- Permanent revocation of network rights
- Disciplinary measures
- Legal Action
Note: All students and parents/guardians must fill out the Storm King School Internet/Network Acceptable Use Form found in their My SKS portal.