Let us take you back in time, to revisit our School’s rich and varied history in a three part series leading up to our 150th year. Please join us on this historical journey. It is our history, after all, that makes us the exceptional educational institution we are today. And it will be our history that carries the School and its students through the 21st century and beyond.
THE EARLY YEARS: 1867-1927 Cornwall Heights to The Stone School
1935 was the year SKS adopted Margaret Clark’s original emblem as the official school crest. Margaret, the School’s first female faculty member, retired from Storm King in 1938 after 44 remarkable years of service. Her legacy is honored annually with the presentation of the Miss Margaret Clark Faculty Excellence Award to deserving, former Storm king School teachers.
THE ELEMENTS OF THE CREST
The Storm King School shield is the primary graphic in our identity system.
It draws from our historic roots and features these elements:
The Lamp and the Book of KnowledgeLight has always been associated with knowledge, and for centuries a lighted oil lamp has been used as a symbol for academic learning. In our shield the lamp is illuminating the
Book of Knowledge, enabling students to understand the book.
Three rectangles and the bent bar These elements were inspired by emblems from Harriet Bristol Stone’s coat of arms. Mrs. Stone was married to Headmaster Dr. Carlos Stone, together they lived on the Mountain from 1887 to 1916.