Mountain Biking & Holistic Personal Development
A unique two week summer program for young riders that combines mountain bike skill building with personal development and academic support skills designed to increase focus, attention, and mindfulness.
Focused Riding featured in the press!
Studies have reported that even after just one bike ride, students were less impulsive and made fewer mistakes on attention related tasks. Therapeutic riding, combined with coaching for executive functions, organization and time management skills, and mindfulness training, will help young students on a path toward success.
Storm King Mountain
The Storm King School, one of America's top boarding schools, is pleased to offer a co-ed mountain bike and academic skill building program for students ages 12-16 on our scenic mountain campus.
- Mountain bike rental
- Healthy meal planning
- Mountain bike skill building
- Academic skills training
- 6:1 student / teacher ratio
- Individualized attention
- Cyclocross races
- Overnight camping trip
- Trail building
Boarding Option + $700
Sample Daily Schedule
- 8:00 - Wake up & Morning Stretches
- 8:30 - Breakfast
- 9:15 - Morning Mountain Biking Skills Clinic
- 11:00 - Down Time & Light Snack
- 11:15 - Reading Period / Academic Instructional Time
- 12:15 - Lunch
- 1:00 - Executive Function lesson
- 2:30 - Yoga & Mindfulness Training
- 4:00 - Meal Planning
- 4:30 - Trail & Bike Maintenance
- 5:30 - Dinner
- 6:00 - Trips to Town / Local Hike / Race Planning
- 8:00 - Prepare for Night Ride
- 8:30 - Night Ride in Black Rock Forest
- 9:30 - Bonfire and Reflection Writing
- 10:00/10:30 - Settling in for the Evening
David Mendlewski, Director of Academic Support
B.A., Psychology, Buffalo State College; M.S.Ed., Medaille College
Mr. Mendlewski has enjoyed a long career teaching students with learning differences, as well as coaching The Storm King MTB team. David is a National Interscholastic Cycling Association (NICA) coach, and he is passionate about helping students to develop their social-emotional and executive functioning skills to reach their highest potential.