Plein Air Art Instruction & Exploration of Famous Hudson Valley Landscapes Depicted by River School Artists
Each day features 3 hours of beginner plein air art instruction & the exploration of a famous place!
The Storm King School campus rests atop the majestic Storm King Mountain in Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY. With beautiful views of the Hudson River, and nearly 4,000 acres of forest preserve surrounding it, the SKS campus is a place Thomas Cole would appreciate.
Jessica Harnick recieved her B.A. in Art History from SUNY New Paltz. Her undergrad studies focused considerably on the Hudson River School Artists. Jessica is a longtime resident of the Hudson Valley, and has enjoyed journeying to various sites, and exploring the landscapes of the artists she has grown to love.
Plein Air Painting for Beginners with Shawn Dell Joyce!
Beginner Artists Ages 8+ Have you ever wanted to paint the outdoors like The Hudson River School artists? Now is your opportunity! Every day students will paint an outdoor scene at the beautiful Storm King School. Various painting techniques and the use of color will be learned and discussed. Follow along step by step starting with a value sketch and ending with a finished piece. All materials will be provided including easels, canvas, etc.
- Free Choice
Hudson River School Site Exploration with Jessica Harnick!
Walk in the footsteps of The Hudson River School artists! Every day students will explore a different site popularized by the artists associated with The Hudson River School. You'll visit Olana, the estate of Frederic Church (pictured below), Cedar Grove, the home and studio of painter Thomas Cole, as well as take short hikes to see the sites where these, and other artists from the school, painted.
- Cedar Grove
- Kaaterskill Clove & Kaaterskill Falls
- Catskill Mountain House
- Mohonk Mountain House and Eagle Cliff
- Storm King Mountain from Long Dock
Program Price: $500
Dates: June 25-29
- A different medium and location will be featured each day. The actual itinerary will be T.B.D. We strive to provide the best experience possible, and will consider factors such as weather and time when coordinating activities.
- Lunch is provided by SKS executive chef Andrew Comey. Mr. Comey is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, and is a certified Master Baker.
- Boarding is available for $60 / Day, and includes a single dormitory room, three meals plus snacks + free WiFi, exercise facilities, and extensive hiking trails within walking distance through the Black Rock Forest Preserve!